New information has been released on The Home Depot Backyard, an 11-acre space under construction next to the Atlanta Falcons‘ Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
When it opens this fall, The Home Depot Backyard will serve as a flex use area that offers tailgating and parking on game days, along with a broad range of programming on non-game days. The 11-acre greenspace will occupy much of the former site of the Georgia Dome, the home of the Falcons from 1992-2016.
Construction on The Home Depot Backyard is progressing well and on schedule for early Fall 2018. All remaining rubble from the former site of the Georgia Dome has been cleared and the site is currently being prepped for turf installation at the end of June. Installation of the 35-foot mirrored soccer ball sculpture that will sit on the north plaza overlooking The Home Depot Backyard will begin this week and continue over the coming weeks.
On game days, The Home Depot Backyard will become a tailgating location. Mercedes-Benz Stadium has partnered with Tailgate Guys to offer fans access to various gameday packages with amenities such as tents, TV packages, tables, chairs and more. The packages offer access to bellhop services, an onsite concierge, catering and a boosted tailgating atmosphere before and after the games.
“Our fans are always our number one priority and we are constantly looking for ways to enhance the fan experience through new and unique opportunities,” says Don Rovak, vice president, sales and service for AMB Sports & Entertainment (AMBSE). “We intend to create a fun, safe and enthusiastic environment in our own space and the partnership with Tailgate Guys allows fans to go as big and as bold as they want and maintain the high quality of service our fans expect and deserve.”
On non-game days, The Home Depot Backyard will offer curated, year-round activations focusing on enriching residents and uplifting the community. The Fall programming season will be focused on testing a limited number of events within three key pillars: arts and culture, health and wellness and service-oriented activations.
“The Home Depot Backyard will be an asset to the city and its residents creating unique opportunities for locals and visitor alike through access, deliberate programming and permanent areas to play and build a sense of community,” says Latonda Henderson, director, community activation for Mercedes-Benz Stadium. “We are so excited to bring this wonderful space to life.”
The Home Depot Backyard will feature limited permanent structures allowing the space to be flexible and multipurpose. Amenities will include:
- The Home Depot Pavilion: A unique sponsorship activation zone in the southwest corner of the development. This zone will be comprised of a three-pier, dual-level, shaded deck pavilion to both engage the tailgating audience in creative ways on event-day and offer additional amenities like picnic areas for the public on non-game days.
- Sports field: A regulation size sports field will be a flexible space that can be used for soccer, flag football and fitness programming.
- Biking and walking paths: ½ mile of new walking and biking paths will connect Atlanta’s Westside neighborhoods with downtown Atlanta.
- Playground: A destination playground will support a variety of ages, abilities and interests.
- Public Restrooms: Permanent restrooms will be accessible to guests during hours of operation.
- Pedestrian Bridge and ADA Accessible Ramp: Bridges and Ramps will be conveniently located and will provide multiple entry points and access for guests of all abilities to participate.
Mercedes-Benz Stadium is home to both the Falcons and MLS’s Atlanta Untied FC.
RELATED STORIES: Georgia Dome to Make Way for The Home Depot Backyard
Renderings courtesy Mercedes-Benz Stadium.